Make this delicious vegan veggie roll as the centerpiece of your holiday dinner!
Vegan Veggie Pastry Roll
This vegan veggie pastry roll recipe has become a staple for many of our fall family dinners and it is a hit for my vegans and omnivores!
The recipe started as a base for a veggie meatloaf that didn’t quite hold together. The filling was so delicious though and to save dinner, I thawed out some pastry dough, rolled it out and stuffed it. The result? A delicious centrepiece for dinner!
Now this recipe is a MUST for family gatherings and my kids look forward to it whenever I say it’s on the menu!
What You’ll Need to Make this Recipe
- frozen pastry dojgh
- veggie ground
- red lentils
- red pepper
- yellow onion
- red wine
- vegetable broth
- olive oil
If it’s possible to make the filling a day ahead, it’s even more flavourful than just made. If this doesn’t work for you I can assure you it will be delicious made fresh too!
Soak the red lentils in water, about 2 cups so that they expand allowing it to cook faster. Chop all the veggies into tiny pieces and sauce them with the garlic and olive oil. Once softened, add the veggie ground and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the wine and allow it to cook down before adding the vegetable broth. Continue to simmer until the filling is “creamy” but not saucy.
Preparing the Pastry Dough
If you can get vegan pastry sheets then I suggest using those. Where I live there are packs of frozen pastry dough in brick form that you have to roll out. Thaw them until soft but still cold then roll thinly between two pieces of parchment lightly floured until a rectangle is formed.
Place the filling in the center of the dough, then fold the top and bottom in before rolling the sides. Imagine you’re rolling a burrito- it means you’re doing it right lol!
Score the tops of the rolls to let the steam out while baking. Bake at 375°F for about 25-30 minutes or until golden.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and add it to your holidays this year!
- 2 pkg tenderflake pastry thawed
- 1 pkg gardein veggie ground
- 1 cup red lentils soaked
- 2 cups mushrooms diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 med yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 c red wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- s&p to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Finely chop all vegetables into small pieces and mince garlic.
- In a pan with some olive oil, saute the vegetables until soft. Drain the lentils and then add to the pan stirring constantly to cook through.
- Pour vegetable broth into pan and continue to cook until broth has nearly evaporated and mixture is “creamy”.
- Add veggie ground and cook until warmed, then add red wine and continue stirring until cooked down.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Roll out one pastry dough into a rectangle. Add filling into the center of the pastry, the. fold the top and bottom (short side) first before folding left and right (long side).
- Repeat step 8 with second pastry dough.
- Transfer rolls onto a cookie sheet lined with silicone or parchment. Score the top of the pastry rolls to allow heat to escape.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Pay attention to the bottom of the roll as it can burn if left unattended!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 176mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g