Flaky golden and delicious vegan raspberry heart shaped hand pies?! YES PLEASE! I may have eaten my weight in baked pastry dough over the past week and I’m honestly not mad about it. With simple ingredients, it’s very likely you have all you need at home to whip these up tonight just in time for you & your Valentine to enjoy with coffee!
As of late, raspberry jam has been taking the forefront when it comes to making anything that requires a jam. When I was thinking about what I wanted to bake for Valentine’s Day, I knew I wanted raspberry jam to be the focus and how perfect that it’s color matches the season of love!
Back to the recipe- I’ve had the pleasure yet again to create another fun recipe with Choices Markets. Choices carries such a vast selection of natural, organic and vegan products that it makes grocery shopping a real treat to find all the things in one stop. I especially like that they carry a lot of the harder to find vegan items- more on that in another blog post!
As mentioned, these raspberry hand pies are a breeze to make. A 3 ingredient pastry dough: flour, coconut oil and ice cold water allows for a simple yet flaky crust and a raspberry jam filling topped with a raspberry glaze add a delicious and lightly sweetened touch.
When making the dough, I used my hands to crumble the solid coconut oil. You’ll want to be sure that your oil comes as a solid at room temperature, otherwise your dough will not form properly. I also find chilling the dough for at least 20 minutes allows for the gluten in the dough to relax slightly allowing for an easy roll.
To make the dough heart shaped I used a 4″ heart shaped cookie cutter which can easily be found at any dollar store. Four inches should be the minimum size in order to have maximum raspberry goodness inside. Don’t have time to grab a cutter? Simply use a cup to make rounds or cut freehand rectangles!
Once the pies are filled, I brushed them with some oat milk (but any milk will do!) to enhance the sheen on the tops of them. Then when the pies have baked and cooled I added a nice raspberry glaze on top to add a touch more sweetness.
Let’s make some hand pies shall we?!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups coconut oil, solid
- 4-6 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam , plus 1 tsp for glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup plant milk, for brushing tops of pies
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add flour and use hands to crumble coconut oil until mixture resembles chunky sand.
- Gradually add ice cold water until mixture forms a dough. Refrigerate dough for 20 mins.
- On a floured surface, knead dough for about 1 minute, then roll into a rectangle with 1/4" thickness.
- Cut heart shapes out of dough and set aside until all dough is used up.
- Moisten the edges of one heart and place another heart ontop. Using a spoon, leave a section of the heart unsealed to create a pocket for the jam filling.
- Crimp the edges well with a fork, then fill the pie with 1-2 tsps of jam.
- Place pie on surface and crimp remaining portion closed.
- Place all pies onto baking sheet and brush with plant milk.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until nice and golden.
- In another bowl, mix icing sugar, 1 tsp of jam and 1 tbsp of water until mixture is smooth. If too runny, add more icing sugar.
- Wait until pies are cool before adding glaze or glaze will run.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This post is sponsored by Choices Markets. All opinions are my own.