These vegan nanaimo bars will satisfy your sweet tooth and the nostalgia of this Canadian classic!
Vegan Nanaimo Bars
One of my favorite desserts growing up has always been the Nanaimo Bar. I remember going to the grocery store with my mom or dad and grabbing that iconic rectangular cardboard box that held those deliciously creamy squares with the chocolate scored on top for easy slicing.
Fast forward to today, it’s been a recipe I’ve been wanting to veganize so my family can experience the deliciousness that is a Nanaimo bar!
Some tips when using this recipe:
- a 9×9 pan lined with parchment will make it easier to remove slices
- Oreo cookie crumbs skip the need to find vegan graham crackers
- chill each stage in the freezer for optimal results
- For the base layer:
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp vegan butter melted (I prefer Becel plant based bricks!)
- 2 cups oreo cookie crumbs
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the custard layer:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon plant milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan custard powder (Birds brand)
- For the top chocolate layer:
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- Line a 9x9” pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl combine ingredients for base layer until mixture is moist.
- Press cookie mixture into pan and chill in freezer for 10 minutes.
- In stand mixer combine ingredients for custard layer.
- Remove pan from freezer and spread custard layer evenly around the cookie base.
- Place pan in freezer for 10 minutes.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and butter and heat for 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Remove pan from freezer and quickly pour and spread chocolate mixture evenly across the top of the custard layer.
- Chill in freezer for another 10 minutes before slicing.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!