Jump to Recipe
This cozy stew is perfect for cold nights when you want something filling and full of flavor! The soy curls add a “chicken” texture which is perfect for this dish.
Hearty Soy Curl Stew With Cheesy Pastry Straws
In these early days of spring it’s hard not to jump into warm weather mode; clothing and all! Mother Nature on the other hand likes to remind us that there are still chillier days ahead and so this stew is a perfect transitional dish from winter to spring or fall to winter!
This soy curl stew is reminiscent of the chicken pot pies and beef stews my mom used to make when I was a kid. We’d usually pair it with a slice of Polish rye bread and dip it into the stew when it was just the liquid left!
This is a vegan take on a classic chicken stew and I love how the soy curls replace the chicken component effortlessly! The texture is uncanny to chicken without the chicken and best of all it doesn’t start to taste “old” in your stew the next day!
A few notes on this recipe:
- soy curls can be found at most natural food stores or online
- I used canned peas and carrots but you’re welcome to use frozen!
- the no chicken better than bouillon paste is what’s really going to give this dish that chicken-y flavor
- if opting for a gluten free version, you can substitute the flour for a starch to thicken, like potato or arrowroot, approximately 1/4 cup in place of the flour
As mentioned, we used to eat stew with bread, but these cheesy pastry twists come together quickly when you’re using frozen pastry dough! Bake these while you’re making the stew and they’ll both be ready at the same time!
I hope you love this recipe as much as my family does! Its definitely one that the kids gobble up quickly!
Hearty Soy Curl Stew with Cheesy Pastry Straws
- 1 pkg soy curls, soaked in water for 10 mins
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups carrots, diced, fresh, canned or frozen
- 2 cups peas, fresh, canned or frozen
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp better than bouillon no chicken base
Cheesy Pastry Straws
- 2 pkg pastry dough, thawed, tenderflake is vegan friendly
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded vegan mozzarella
Cheesy Pastry Straws
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
Remove pastry dough from packaging and split into 2 halves. Divide each half into 4 pieces.
Take one piece and gently twist into a straw-like shape. Do this with all pieces.
Transfer each piece onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or silicon mat. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Heat olive oil in a pot on medium heat.
Add onions and garlic and saute until translucent. Add soy curls and continue to cook until golden brown.
Add butter and then the flour as soon as the butter has melted so the flour has a chance to coat the soy curls.
Pour in broth and no chicken bouillon base and continue to stir until bouillon is completely mixed in.
Add in carrots and peas and reduce heat to a simmer to allow veggies to cook.
Adjust seasonings and serve immediately with cheesy pastry straws!