Did someone say chocolate cake! This recipe has been my go-to for a couple of years and it is originally created by Gretchen Price in her Modern Vegan Baking cook book. If you haven’t visited her website, you just must- she makes the most amazing creations!
If you asked me what flavor of cake is my favourite I would usually say vanilla but THIS chocolate cake is incredibly delicious and paired with the right filling (think chocolate, cookie butter, coconut, peanut butter!) it is really out of this world!
I’ve adapted the recipe to be able to create 3 x 6″ cake layers but you can easily fill 2 x 9″ pans with the same amount of batter and get some really nice tall layers of chocolate cake- not a bad problem to have in my opinion!
Although I used a mixer for this, you could very easily throw all the ingredients into one bowl and mix it all together. I should note that the batter is going to look really runny and it might make you question whether or not it’s going to even turn into anything nice. It will! I promise!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 1.5 cups cocoa powder
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup water, to mix with flax
- 1/2 cup oil, coconut or canola
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup becel vegan butter brick
- 5 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In measuring cup mix ground flax seed and water and let stand for 5 mins.
- In a bowl add cocoa powder, boiling water, flax egg, sugar, vanilla and combine well.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and soda.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet mixture and mix well.
- Pour into greased baking pans and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then transfer to a rack until completely cooled.
- In a mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter.
- Add vanilla and cocoa powder and mix well.
- Gradually add icing sugar and mix until fluffy.
- You may add 1-2 tbsp of plant milk to soften if icing is too stiff.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g