This creamy vegan tomato soup is perfect for a cozy night in!
I remember being early in my 20’s and discovering tomato basil bisque soup from my local Safeway. It seemed to be such a popular soup flavour at the time and I found myself buying it regularly. I have always been afraid of making soups because it seemed like it took all day long and I could never figure out how to bring out the flavour of veggies and turn it into something wonderful and hearty.
Over the years I have worked on perfecting this tomato soup and I hope you will all like it as much as I do!
A couple of notes to help you be successful with this recipe:
- A high powered blender is optimal for this recipe as you will need to liquify the roasted tomatoes and avoid pieces of the skin
- The best vegetable bouillon is the “Better than Bouillon” Vegetable concentrate – this gives the soup the “umami” it needs!
- Full fat coconut milk will give the soup the best creamy texture without making it taste too “coconutty”
- If you find your tomatoes to be too acidic you can balance it out by adding a little brown sugar or maple syrup to taste!
Roast the Veggies
Start by rough chopping all of the tomatoes, onions and garlic and throwing them into a pan. You’ll be using an immersion blender or a high powered blender to cream the soup so it doesn’t matter what they look like. You’ll know it’s done when there are bits of charred veggies. This adds great flavour to your soup!
Blend blend blend!
I used a Vitamix for this recipe so I waited for the tomatoes to cool slightly before I transferred them to the blender. Whichever option you choose (immersion or blender) make sure you blend for several minutes to ensure there isn’t any skin pieces that aren’t fully liquified.
Season and Simmer
Add your bouillon and coconut cream to the tomato soup and allow to simmer in a pot for 15 minutes or longer (the longer the better!) then adjust flavour by adding something sweet to balance the acidity if needed.
you might like my cheesy pizza bread!
Easy Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- 3 lb tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable bouillon,, "Better than Bouillon" is best!
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Chop tomatoes and onions in to large chunks and place on a large pan with olive oil at the base.
- Finely chop garlic and add to pan.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes until tomatoes are nice and soft and a little blackened.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer half into a high powered blender and blend for 2-3 minutes until completely smooth.
- Check to make sure the mixture is completely smooth and there aren't chunks of skins (this will be annoying when you're eating it!) then transfer to a pot over low heat.
- Blend the remainder of the tomato mixture and add to the pot. Add in the bouillon and full fat coconut milk.
- Bring to a simmer and adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Serve with cheezy pizza bread!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g