If you were to ask me a couple years ago if I would ever one day rejoice in the magic that surrounds chickpeas, I’d probably not be listening while in the midst of draining the liquid out of a can. 😱😂
It wasn’t until our family stopped eating animals nearly 2 years ago that I discovered what an amazing egg replacer it is for many of my beloved recipes.
Fast forward to 2019 and my version of a chickpea farinata gives me ALL. THE. HEART. EYES!
What exactly is a farinata? It’s essentially a crispy crêpe which in this case is made by chickpeas. Did you know that a 1/4c of chickpea flour boasts 5g of protein, 19g of carbs, 4g of fiber and absolutely NO cholesterol or fat? Move over eggs- this is something I can consciously sink my teeth into!
I like to add a mix of flavors to my farinata: onion powder, garlic powder, Herbamare seasoning salt and nutritional yeast, but really you can add just about any kind of herb or spice- the possibilities are truly endless.
To make this farinata top notch, I HIGHLY recommend using PC organics chickpea flour (this is NOT sponsored just sharing my tried and true test!) as it has a light nutty flavor with no bitterness.
I also recommend adding some Shani’s seasoning to your farinata as it lends an egg flavor due to the blend of salts and seasonings it contains. You will never want to go back to eggs after this!!
Ways I like to eat my farinata:
- on an open faced piece of focaccia with avocado and a drizzle of balsamic glaze
- in a breakfast sandwich with a veggie sausage patty
- as a wrap loaded with veggies
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do- I’d love to hear how you like to season it!
Double or triple the recipe to meal prep for the week and enjoy a delish breakfast with ease!
- 1/2 Cup Chickpea flour, PC organics has the best taste!
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 Tsp Herbamare Seasoning Salt
- 1 Tsp Shani’s Seasoning
- Non stick cooking spray
- In a bowl combine the chickpea flour, water and seasonings and mix until well blended.
- Heat a lightly oiled pan on medium high heat.
- For the farinata, pour entire contents directly into the pan and use a spatula to gently spread the mixture around the pan.
- You can also pour out portions like mini pancakes or longer pieces to fit a piece of focaccia.
- Cook on one side for about 1-2 mins or until slightly golden and crispy, then flip to cook the other side.
- Assemble farinata with your favorite sandwich toppings or use as a wrap and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g